Monday, September 12, 2011

A swirl here; a swoosh there

There's nothing I love more than making cakes for family events. So this past Saturday when it was my parent's 23rd wedding anniversary I was more than happy to make a cake for the celebration!

My mom is a crazy chocoholic, so what would she like more than chocolate cake? Absolutely nothing. My dad on the other hand, eats anything you put in front of him. But I think I found a perfect combination for them with a Black Forest Cake.


So my photography skills may be lacking, but besides that I think it looks pretty good! I will admit to being very impatient when it comes to cake decorating. When I read to put the cake in the fridge for an hour I usually do it for twenty minutes...but I'm learning to follow instructions! I really am!

Also, a word of advice for crumb coating cakes: FREEZER! After you take the cake out of the pan, pop it in the freezer for fifteen-ish minutes and BAM! Your cake is a dream to ice!

Chocolate Chip borders are faaar easier than piping borders!

As far as piping the cake, I used my Wilton #2, 3, and 4 tips for different line thicknesses. I stuck with a basic buttercream because I love piping with buttercream, if you wanted lines with sharper edges I would suggest Royal Icing though.



Oh, and this cake carrier that is pictured above (well that's actually just the lid for it, but anyways...) is my favorite for displaying cakes! It's from Wal-Mart and it was like $16...you should go buy one because it's super awesome! Plus it also doubles as a punch bowl...nifty, right?

Well, have a splendid week and I shall be back soon :)
Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment