Saturday, September 29, 2012

You're the Straw to my Berry

Well there goes summer, it came so fast I can hardly believe it's over already! But school has begun and life is back in routine once again. No complaints from this girl here.
 
So forgive me for taking almost a month to get to this post...life has been doing its thing and leaving me no time to hang out with you guys. But Saturday has come and here I am.
 
My parents celebrated their 24th wedding anniversary on September 10 (now you know how long I've been procrastinating with this post). But anywhoooo, as per tradition, I made them something sweet for said celebration .
 
Chocolate. Strawberries. Almonds. Helloooo, Heaven! These were one of those random recipe searches...which on a normal day result in a big, fat fail. But to my delight, they were wonderful!  
 
 
And since I am such a generous gal, I shall give you the pleasure of knowing the recipe!
 
Strawberry Cupcakes
  • 1/2 cups butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cups milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
*Pre-heat oven to 350*
*Beat butter until it's smooth, add sugar followed by the eggs
*In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients
*Alternate between adding the dry ingredients and the milk until completely combined.
*Fold in sliced strawberries and vanilla
* Fill the prepared cupcake tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Strawberry Buttercream
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 cups icing sugar
  • 3 tablespoons strawberry puree (blend about five strawberries in a mixer...a magic bullet works magically)
*Cream butter and then gradually add sugar
*Mix in the puree
*Slather those cupcakes in this tasty creation
**I noticed that the icing got stiffer as it set in the fridge...so if you want a stiff icing for piping swirls on the cupcakes, leave it in the fridge for an hour or so before using it.
 

As far as decorating goes, I spread the buttercream because I didn't let it harden up in the fridge (patience, Sydney...). Then using some melted chocolate I added some detail and used the rest to cover the strawberries (cut in half first) and almonds.


Nothing overly fancy, but they turned out pretty elegant looking. And very delicious might I add! But don't be fooled by their decorating...these cupcakes are beauts even without frosting!

 
Here we can note my weird obsession with beautiful food...*tear* she's so gorgeous!
 
Well there you have it...I hope you pleasure yourself with trying these guys out. You won't be sorry, I promise!
 
And that's that...over and out,
Sydney :)

No comments:

Post a Comment