Friday, August 17, 2012

Love and be Loved

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, CHELSEA & DANNY!


So...this happened on Tuesday, while Chels and Danny were at work. Ha, Surprise! :) For those of you who do not know, Chelsea is my older sister and she got married last August, making this past Tuesday her first anniversary! Yay.


This also happened....beautiful, hey? Me and mom thought so! But I'm not ALL mean! I made cake too...therefore making me a nice sister!

My original plan was to remake the top tier of their wedding cake. It was just a dummy cake but the icing has yellowed and it was kinda gross looking.


This is their wedding cake from last year and they had saved the top tier. So after multiple hours spent between my mother and I, we finally chipped the topper off the royal icing. And then I decided to remake it with real cake instead.

 And then after I started making it I decided that I would just make a whole new cake. Who wants the same cake, twice? And my creative juices were just flowing!


Hello, anniversary cake! I used their cake topper and the same Lemon poppy seed cake recipe that they had at their wedding. And other than that, I flew by the seat of my pants. Pyjama pants...but whatever.

My tactic for this one was "grab a tip and go." Let me explain: you reach into your icing tip set, grab a random tip, and start piping! And it turned out quite lovely.


I worked with the #47 tip and just created some ruffle-type stuff. And that there, folks, was the most professional line I've ever written on this blog. Ha, sorry I'm tired! But anywhoooo:

The cake was pretty good, well I didn't try this one...but last summer it was! So I just assumed this one tasted the same. And with that said, I shall give you the recipe!

Lemon Poppy Seed Cake

  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 1/8 cup white sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp lemon zest (I used 3 lemons)
  • 4 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
  • 1 1/3 cups butter
  • 5 eggs
*Pre-heat oven to 350..
*The recipe calls for a 9x13 loaf pan, but I used a 6" round with a 3" height...so a normal 8" pan would work
*Beat together flour, sugar, salt
*Mix in the lemon zest, poppy seeds and butter
*add eggs one at a time
*Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes (I found that the time varies greatly depending on the pan..so check it often and use your nose)

The End!

Try it out, if ya wanna! You won't be let down, I promise!

Well my wedding cake progress is quite lovely! I just have to assemble and add flowers tomorrow before the reception! Here's a sneak peak at what the tiers look like!


3 tiers, 3 flavors, 2 colors, 1 design. Yes I am quite pleased with this.

The wedding's tomorrow so I shall post pictures afterwards some time. The cake will be decorated with some real flowers to match the bride's flowers. So excited!

Well that's all the time we have for today, folks. Join me next time as i take you through my very first wedding cake journey!

Have a gooder,
Sydney :)

No comments:

Post a Comment