Saturday, December 03, 2011

Meet Milk's Favorite Cookie's Twin

Alright, this post is written in dedication to all you lazy bakers out there. Sometimes I may classify as one of those....so it's not a bad thing. But today's recipe is super easy! Like, easier than all the other recipes I've said are easy. Yes, folks, it's true. Meet a three ingredient cookie!

Now, I don't want you to get the wrong impression of me....but I do have to admit to buying cake mix the other day. *GASP* I'm an awful person, I know. But let me explain. It wasn't because I was too lazy to make cake batter from scratch..No, no. It was for cookies. Therefore, I'm still a good person. Cake mix for cookies is 100% acceptable.

Cake Mix Cookies:
  • 1 box of cake mix (minus about 3 tablespoons)
  • 2  eggs
  • 1/3 cup oil
*Pre-heat oven to 350*
*Mix all (Yes, all three) ingredients together.
*Drop by spoonful on a cookie sheet, and bake for roughly 9 minutes
*Let cool on pan about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

Mhmm, yup that's all. Hellooo easiest recipe EVER!
But...we can't just stop at the cookies because what fun would that be? We must take it one step forward and transform a simple cookie into a home-made Oreo cookie!

Now, I won't claim to know what the creamy part of an Oreo actually is...but I found a recipe that is pretty close. Unlike the cookies, it does take a good 20 minutes, but it's so worth it!

Martha Stewart's Hi-Hat Cupcake Icing
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
*Beat the first four ingredients together in a heat-proof bowl for a few minutes, until fluffy...(until you begin to think "ITS SO FLUFFY I'M GONNA DIE!!")
*Place the bowl in a pot of simmering water (kinda like a double-boiler type set-up) and beat until stiff peaks form. This will take around 14 minutes or so...just be patient.
*Once frosting has reached 160*F on a candy thermometer, remove it from the pot of water and add both extracts.
*Continue to beat for an additional 2 minutes until the icing thickens


I just spread the icing with a spoon between two cookies, but I guess you could use a piping bag if you want to make a bigger mess :)

It's kind of obvious, but you can use whatever flavor of cake mix depending on what flavor of cookie you want. These ones are just vanilla, but I also did some chocolate ones. In my opinion, the vanilla were better..but that's just me.


Alright, you have no excuse to not try these since they are so super-duper easy. Go forth and B.A.KE!
Take care,
Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment