Saturday, June 22, 2013

When Life Gives You Lemons

This is my last week at home before I head off to camp for the majority of the summer! Woohoo! Any of you who have been to or worked at Winkler Bible Camp know what a party it is, so needless to say I'm a little excited! I'm pumped to see God work in the lives of all the children and staff alike!

But before I head off I would like to get a few more posts in! So here's a recent one for ya!


One of the teachers at my high school has become a loyal customer of mine (thank you, Mr. Toews!). This time around his wife ordered some lemon cupcakes for a 30th birthday celebration. The icing, more like whipped cream, for these cupcakes is to die for! I couldn't stop licking it off the spoon!

For your baking pleasure, here's the recipe!

Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Whipped Cream:
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons lemon zest
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
*Pre-heat the oven to 375*
*Mix the flour and salt in a bowl
*In another bowl, beat the butter (and say that ten times fast) and sugar until light and fluffy
*Beat the eggs one at a time into the butter mixture, mix in the vanilla and lemon zest
*Slowly add the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Add the milk and lemon juice. Beat until just incorporated.
*Fill cupcake tin and bake for 17 minutes
  • 2 cups heavy cream (whipping cream)
  • 3/4 cups icing sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
*Beat the cream until it begins to thicken
*Add the icing sugar and lemon juice and beat until soft peaks form (about 5 minutes)
*Spread over cooled cupcakes and lick the rest out of the bowl.

 

For the toppers for these cupcakes, I used some colored chocolate wafers and just piped them into "30's" and "k's."

 
 
 
When I had enough to decorate all 24 cupcakes, plus a few extra in case of breakage (which did happen) I piped some dots to use on a later project....or just eat....because let's face it chocolate wafers are too good to not eat.

 
And when all was said and done I couldn't have been happier about making a few extra cupcakes...


...oops.

Enjoy the sunshine,
Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment